Diploma to Paycheck in 6 Steps
Congratulations, you graduated! Now what? Stepping into the “real world” and finding that first job is a daunting task for any new graduate. The good news is that employers plan to hire 4 percent more graduates from the class of 2018 than they did from the class of 2017, according to the National Association of Colleges and Employees (NACE) Job Outlook 2018 survey. Plus, these 15 industries plan to hire the most college graduates in 2018.
Take advantage of the favorable hiring environment and go from diploma to paycheck in just 6 steps:
- Craft a standout resume. Your resume is often the first impression you make on hiring managers. It is essential that your resume is easy-to-read, tailored to a specific position, effectively organized, updated and detailed.
- Polish your social media profiles. These days hiring managers are seeking applicants out on social media to learn more about them. Be sure your social media profiles, both personal and professional, are searchable, updated and refined. Though you should not mask who you are, think twice before sharing any unseemly statuses or spring break pics.
- Build your network. Ever heard the saying, “It’s not the grades you make, but the hands you shake?” When job searching, it’s essential to network—both online and in-person. Build your network by connecting with friends, family, friends of friends and other relevant people in your circle—you never know what connections they may have! LinkedIn is also a useful networking tool.
- Seek support from a staffing agency. Job searching is an overwhelming and sometimes frustrating task—don’t do it alone! At ITAC, we’re here to help you through the whole process—from the first application to accepting an offer. Our goal is to find a quality fit between a person, a position and a company. To do this, ITAC recruiters dedicate time to understanding your desires, skills, credentials and experience.
- Prep for job interviews. Job interviews are intimidating, especially for new graduates, which is why it is important to calm those jitters by being prepared. Be yourself, conduct company research, dress to impress and take time to compose your answers.
- Show off what you know. Showing off who you are and what you know throughout the job search is crucial. As a recent grad, you may be lacking professional experience, but if you’ve had a couple of internships or volunteer opportunities, you can still present yourself as a marketable and valuable employee. Speak confidently about your strengths, share your experiences and highlight what you learned from them.
We hope these 6 steps lead you to your first paycheck and wish you the best of luck in your job search!
ITAC Solutions is a recruiting firm headquartered in Birmingham with additional offices in Atlanta, Huntsville, Mobile and Nashville. ITAC specializes in the temporary, contract, and direct placement of accounting, information technology, corporate and administrative professionals.