How to Land a Temporary Job During the Holidays
‘Tis the season for Christmas carols, colored lights, holiday shopping AND seasonal hiring. During the holiday hustle and bustle, retailers and other businesses often depend on temporary employees to help manage the heightened workload and cover for employees’ vacation time.
If you’re looking for a temporary job or extra-work this holiday season, here are 5 tips for making your search more successful:
- Start searching early. The earlier you start looking, the better. Because many retailers and businesses start screening and hiring holiday workers in early fall, it’s important to start your search early to secure a position.
- Target industries impacted by the holiday rush. Though retailers tend to hire the most holiday workers, there are plenty of other industries that increase hiring during the holidays, too. For instance, consider targeting packaging and delivery companies, restaurants, HR administration, hospitality and tourism, and tax preparation. Plus, companies in all industries are often in need of temporary workers to cover for vacationing employees. A staffing agency, like ITAC, can help you find these opportunities.
- Be resourceful. Let your family and friends know that you’re looking for holiday work. You never know who might have a helpful connection.
- Be prepared. Research the companies you’re applying to work for before turning in the application. You never know when you’ll be asked to do an impromptu interview. Check out these 4 Pieces of Interview Advice from an ITAC Recruiter.
- Be flexible. Most importantly, job seekers searching for temporary work during the holidays should be prepared for jobs requiring long hours, especially on weekends, and physical work or standing for long periods. Employers are looking for workers who can jump in when needed and handle various duties.
There are plenty of seasonal jobs ready and waiting for you. Let ITAC help you find the right fit for you. After all, temporary jobs often lead to permanent positions. Happy holidays!
ITAC Solutions is a recruiting firm headquartered in Birmingham with additional offices in Atlanta, Huntsville, Mobile and Nashville. ITAC specializes in the temporary, contract, and direct placement of accounting, information technology, corporate and administrative professionals.