6 Reasons to Take a Temporary Position
These days finding a full-time position isn’t easy, but never fear, temporary positions are here! Whether you’re a recent graduate desperately seeking a job to pay the bills or a more seasoned professional looking for new opportunities, temporary positions offer benefits to job seekers with all levels of experience and career goals.
Here are 6 reasons to take a temporary position:
- Beats unemployment. So there’s the saying that “something is better than nothing” and having some income beats the limited, short-term money you might receive from unemployment benefits. Accepting a temporary position either creates or keeps some structure in your day while keeping your mind active and focused. Plus, there’s nothing really that great about daytime television!
- Gets you in the door. Accepting a temporary position gets your foot in the door at a company and could lead to a full-time position eventually, if you play your cards right. Prove that you’re indispensable by working hard, arriving on time and staying late, having a positive attitude, behaving professionally and, ultimately, exceeding the employer’s expectations. Though temporary work does not always lead to a full-time position, you certainly don’t want to miss out on the opportunity.
- Expands your professional network. Holding a temporary position enables you to easily expand your professional network. By making connections with different people during your time at the company, you’ll increase your chances of finding full-time employment. You never know where a contact may lead you, and who he or she may be able to refer you to for future jobs. The more references and connections you have, the better.
- Offers flexibility. When working temporary positions, you can arrange your schedule however you’d like and more effectively balance your work and personal life. For instance, you can control when you’d like to take a career break or arrange work around your school schedule.
- Provides valuable experience. Temporary employment provides you with the opportunity to gain valuable work experience and learn new skills. Whether the job is related to your field or not, any work experience looks better than none. Likewise, if you’re just starting your career or considering changing fields, temporary employment gives you a chance to try out different jobs and determine what you enjoy doing.
- Fills resume gaps. Not only does taking a temporary position provide you with valuable experience, but it also prevents your resume from being blanketed with unemployment gaps. Hiring managers will be impressed that you took the initiative to gain work experience while searching for full-time work.
Ultimately, we believe job seekers should take advantage of the benefits of temporary employment, whether it’s their end goal or a stepping stone to their next position. At ITAC, we’re here to find an employment solution for you. Check out our current job openings here and contact us for more information.
ITAC Solutions is a recruiting firm headquartered in Birmingham with additional offices in Atlanta, Huntsville, Mobile and Nashville. ITAC specializes in the temporary, contract, and direct placement of accounting, information technology, corporate and administrative professionals.