ITAC is assisting a well-known organization here in Birmingham in their efforts to find a Senior Systems Programmer!
The Senior Systems Programmer will support the Mainframe and IBM i operating systems, utility software, and hardware. This person will handle the installation, customization, and maintenance of large systems software products. This involves problem diagnosis, resolution activities, performance analysis tuning, and capacity planning.
What you’ll be doing (duties of this position):
- Provide day to day operational support of business-critical z/OS and IBM i operating systems, utility software, and hardware.
- Implement maintenance updates and upgrades of operating systems, software and hardware.
- Performance and tuning activities, which includes monitoring the system activities and making recommendations to the application developers on how to improve the overall performance of their application.
- Identify and implement system and process improvements in the z/OS and IBM i environments.
- Work with application support teams and customers to implement business initiatives.
- Document system software products including usage instructions, configuration notes, test plans and details of customizations necessary for our environment.
- Lead project teams to accomplish business and technology goals.
- On-call support to respond to issues with the system 24x7
- Implementation of system changes after hours or on weekends as appropriate.
- Communicate accurate and useful status reports to management on a timely basis.
- Instill a commitment to quality, customer service, ownership, and teamwork.
- Build strong customer relationships. Promote internal/external customer service among the organization.
- Maintain awareness of new technological developments in industry and processes - implement concepts appropriately.
- Make decisions that reflect the best interest of the company.
What you’ll need to be considered (requirements):
- 10+ years of technical work experience supporting mainframe and IBM i system software products including operating systems, utilities, subsystems (disk, virtual tape, print, TCPIP), and ISV software.
- z/OS hardware configuration and IBM i on P series hardware including VIOS for LPAR virtualization.
- Experience with z/OS Assembler coding and maintaining operating system exit code.
- Experience maintaining and testing disaster recovery plans.
- Third party (non-IBM) vendor package installation and support experience.
- Strong problem-solving skills to isolate failures, identify remediation steps, develop test plans and verification protocols.
- Strong communications skills to interact effectively with other team members, customers, management and vendor support personnel.
- The ability and willingness to perform on-call duties and after hour system support.
- Experience working with vendors and technical experts outside of normal business hours with minimal supervision.
- Accurate work and very careful attention to detail are required to avoid system outages.
- Able to manage multiple tasks with competing deadlines, communicate progress on a timely basis and respond to changing priorities when required.
- Able to work independently, follow industry standards / best practices and take responsibility for ongoing professional development.
- College Degree Preferred with experience managing multiple technologies.
What could set you apart from the rest (preferred skills / experience / knowledge):
- Industry certifications a plus.
- AIX and open systems experience a plus.
About ITAC: We're in the business of connecting professionals with employment/career opportunities in fields such as accounting and finance, technology, engineering, office administration, marketing, sales and just about any other position from the front desk to the corner office. Whether your need is for temporary or contract employment or for full-time employment, our goal is to help you make the right connection. Think this posting is a perfect match for your experience, skills, and qualifications? Apply above! If this job isn't for you but sounds like a great opportunity for someone you know, use the red arrow to the left of this posting and share with a friend.